Friday, February 16, 2018

Black History: Don Freeman, Charles A. Ballard

Don Freeman: Resolute Radical

Depending on how and where you met him, you might not know that Don Freeman was once perceived as a wild-eyed radical back in the day. And there was good reason for the perception.

One of Cleveland’s native sons, a child of the inner city with an intellectual curiosity that still burns some 70 years later, Freeman has been on a persistent lifetime quest, first to understand and then to expound upon the world we live in.

Don Freeman

Freeman was an essential source for former Case Western Reserve University professor Rhonda Y. Williams’ incisive book, Concrete Demands: The Search for Black Power in the 20th Century.

He has now written his own history, Reflections of a Resolute Radical. I read a few pages of it online a couple of days ago and look forward to getting a copy tonight when he appears at 6:30PM tonight at the Louis Stokes wing of the Cleveland Public Library, 525 Superior Ave.


Charles A. Ballard, Pioneer Advocate for Fatherhood, dies at 81

My friend Charles Ballard was an unforgettable person with a familiar story of abandonment that he used to craft a meaningful life, first for himself, and then to help thousands of others. While a teenager, somewhere in Georgia as I recall, he got his girlfriend pregnant. His response was to run away and join the Army, where he ran into further troubles that landed him in prison with a three-year sentence. He was released after eight months [he always maintained his conviction was unwarranted] and came to Cleveland after tracking down the son of his youth. Committed to being the father he himself had enjoyed only briefly — his father entered a mental institution when Ballard was three and died there several years later without ever returning home — Charles became a Christian, a student, and a social worker.
His social work and personal experience helped him first to identify a problem — young fathers who wanted a relationship with their children but with no clue how to build one — and then to provide a solution.
Ballard’s work with teen fathers soon led to the establishment of the National Institute for Responsible Fatherhood and Family Development. Initially based in Cleveland, the program received first philanthropic and then political support, winning the personal approval of President George W. Bush and Secretary of Health and Human Services Louis Sullivan.
Ballard moved the program to Washington DC in an attempt to make it truly national.
Ballard had a simple three-step initiation process to begin working with young fathers. They had to acknowledge paternity legally, achieve at least a high school diploma, and get a regular paying job to establish a regular payday.
Ballard died on February 5 in the Washington DC area after years of declining health following a debilitating stroke in 2005 that cost him his eyesight.
His funeral is scheduled for Sunday, February 18 at 11AM, at the Restoration Praise Center, 14201 Old Stage Road, Bowie, MD 20720.
Fatherhood programs established by Cuyahoga County and the State of Ohio are part of Charles Ballard’s legacy.



-->

5 comments:

Kathleen Harrington said...

Charles was an amazing, loving man. My husband and I were honored to be asked by him to serve on the Board of the original Teen Father program in Cleveland. I did not know of his passing but I often think of him fondly.

Richard said...

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you very much for commenting. You have prompted me to reach out to one of Charles' close collaborators, with whom I am on the phone as I write. I would like to speak with you. Please contact me here: rta AT therealdealpress.com [no spaces]

Unknown said...

I am saddened to hear of Charles Ballard's passing. I came across this blog as I was searching to see if his organization was still in operation. I met Charles about 20 years ago and we became friends. I really appreciated his teaching and programming on combating fatherless and its adverse affects. Since meeting him, he has always been a spiritual, sociological, and practical reference point for my work with fathers and men in general. May he rest in peace and may his influence continue to touch lives.

Richard said...

I was a board member of the National Institute for Responsible Fatherhood and Family Development, fka The Teen Father Program. Charles was a fine gentleman of quiet intensity.

Anastasia said...

I jus5 came across this post and I am sorry to hear about Charles Ballard’s passing. Charles brought me on as the Marketing Direct of the Teen Father Program. I learned so much at such a young age that help with my career till this day. Charles was a great man. My condolences to his family.